Thursday 16 April 2015

The young man and the sea

Archie Meades

Meg ran away often.
As a collie, she was expected to herd 
but the only
gathering she did was
when her vanishing acts
led me to the water's edge
to see her splash and strut
in the shallow parts of the bay.

She sensed my limits:
my school shoes
and the evening schedule.
And I knew two things: Meg hated
the feel of water on her head, and the ferry
and its wake would come every two hours.

I waited hours in the hope
she would yield to my murmured, merman pleas. 
Balls and replacement stones went fetched, 
unreturned and forgotten. 
Calls to heel were screened. 
Would she have done the same 
with sheep? She loved this 
immersive theatre.

It always ended with one of us 
wetter than we wanted,
a frequently repeated washing cycle.
We never had a chance 
to speak about it
on account of her being a dog.